Madison Residential Real Estate & For Sale By Owner (FSBO) Lawyer
With over 30 years combined real estate experience, our attorney can help you with most types of real estate transactions.
- Residential sale or purchase
- Business purchase, sale or lease
- Condominium development
- Farm purchase, sale or lease
- Vacant land
- Construction law
This page focuses on residential transactions. Click here to see our main real estate page .
RESIDENTIAL SALES AND PURCHASES
We help many clients in the Madison area with their for-sale-by-owner purchases and sales. Many people are finding it worthwhile to buy and sell their houses without the help of realtors. In fact, the FSBO (for sale by owner) market in the Madison area is the most popular in the nation.
This article in the New York Times discusses the phenomenon of the website FSBOMadison.com and the fact that sellers are getting as good a price on their own as when they use realtors. By using FSBOMadison.com, many people do the heavy lifting of the sale of their house themselves. Also, many potential buyers find houses online in the privacy of their home.
Good real estate agents provide many services and resources also, like multiple listing service, arranging showings and open houses, good advice on curb appeal, strength in negotiating with builders and a wide network. In fact, the evidence shows that a house sells a bit quicker when it is listed with a real estate agent. But especially in Madison, it is a serious choice whether to use one or not.
Whether or not you have a real estate agent, it is a good idea to have an attorney review or draft all of your paperwork in this important area. For example, in a residential sale, there are:
- Real Estate Agency and Listing Agreements
- Standard form offers with many possible options
- Standard and non-standard Addenda to the offer
- Real Estate Condition Reports
- Counter-offers and counter-tactics
- Inspectors and inspection reports
- Tests (radon, lead paint, asbestos)
- Title insurance or an abstract of title
- Loan documentation and mortgages
- How to title real estate (as married couple, as tenants in common, in an LLC, etc.)
- Closing statements
- Tax consequences
- Confusion and hustle of the closing
We can take the legal worry out of real estate transactions and guide you through with experience and confidence. If you are buying, selling, leasing or developing, please call us for a quote. We can normally do residential transactions for a low flat fee.